by Floyd Godfrey, LPC, CSAT
Study over previous years has produced a clear outcome ... that people do indeed become addicted to pornography. We have worked with hundreds of men and youth in Mesa Arizona who are addicted to pornography. There are psychological, neurological as well as chemical adjustments, which result over time as an outcome of using pornography. If you're addicted to pornography the adverse consequences might begin slowly as well as be undetected. You may not know that changes are occurring till you are seriously hooked. Over time you might find that porn consumes large amounts of your time as well as becomes central to your day-to-day routine.
Just how do you know if you're addicted to porn? The following are some common indicators:
- You really feel as though it's out of control; you merely cannot stop despite the fact that you promise every single time that you won't do it anymore.
- You keep using it despite the fact that it's in conflict with personal values or convictions.
- You attempt to conceal your porn usage and also prevent others from learning what you are doing.
- When you aren't viewing pornography, you may spend moments of time preparing for the next opportunity.
- You risk getting "caught" in places it would be improper like school or work.
- Using pornography starts to take away from important activities such as job or family members time.
- Making use of pornography has started to change your connection with good friends or family, and seems to be causing a sense of general disconnection or moodiness.
Getting over a pornography addiction is a liberating experience! However, once it has actually taken root it can be a difficult journey. There is no fast or magical fix. It will take you time and expert guidance. Many people who overcome an addiction to pornography describe professional therapy as a component of their recovery program.
Don't let previous attempts to quit impact your self-esteem. It's difficult. If you've tried previously and failed, then you are typical to most of the men we work with. There is absolutely nothing innately wrong with you, except that you are possibly addicted. Search for a counselor with special training in pornography or sexual addiction in order to help yourself. Typically those with training will have a CSAT credential (Certified Sex Addiction Therapist). Call us to get a free 15-minute consultation with one of our therapists trained in pornography addiction in Mesa AZ (480) 668-8301.