By Floyd Godfrey, LPC, CSAT candidate
The research study over the past couple of years has actually been clear ... that folks do without a doubt become addicted to pornography and sex. There are psychological, neurological and chemical changes which result gradually as an outcome of using pornography. If you're addicted to sex the negative effects will begin slowly and be unseen. You may not understand that changes are taking place till you are desperately entrenched. Over time you might uncover that sex begins to consume large amounts of your time as well as becomes a preoccupation to your day-to-day routine.
Just how do you know if you're addicted to sex? The following are some typical indications:
1. You feel as though it's out of control, and also simply could not stop even when you commit every time that you will not do it again.
2. You keep engaging sexual activity although it contradicts your individual values and standards.
3. You attempt to hide your sexual activity and keep others from discovering out exactly what you are doing.
4. When you typically aren't doing something sexual, you prepare for the next encounter. You spend mental energy preparing for the next episode.
5. You are afraid about being "discovered" doing sexual things at improper places or at improper times (e.g., workshop, job).
6. Your sexual activity begins to infringe upon important tasks such as work or family time.
7. Your sexual activity has actually begun to change your interaction with loved ones or friends, creating a feeling of disconnection or emotional distance.
Getting into recovery for sexual addiction is a liberating experience! Most people who successfully overcome a dependency to sex look for professional counseling as a component of their healing program. Call us for a totally free 15-minute consultation with one of our specialists educated in pornography and sexual addiction in Mesa AZ (480) 668-8301.