by Floyd Godfrey, LPC, CSAT candidate
We've worked with over a thousand individuals impacted by pornography addiction in Mesa, Arizona. How do you know if you're addicted to porn? The research over the past few years has been clear… that people do indeed become addicted to pornography. There are emotional, neurological and chemical changes which result over time as a result of using porn. If you’re addicted to pornography the negative consequences may begin slowly and be undetected. You may not be aware that changes are occurring until you are desperately hooked. Over time you may discover that pornography consumes large quantities of your time and becomes central to your daily activity.
How do you know if you’re addicted to porn? The following are some common signs:
1. You feel as though it’s out of control, and simply cannot stop even though you vow every time that you won’t do it again.
2. You keep using pornography even though it’s contrary to your personal values and standards of living.
3. You attempt to hide your pornography use and keep others from finding out what you are doing.
4. When you aren’t using porn, you frequently anticipate the next time. You spend thinking about your next episode.
5. You are fearful about getting “caught” using porn in places it would be inappropriate (e.g., school, work).
6. Your pornography use begins to take away from important activities such as work or family time.
7. Using porn has begun to change your interaction with loved ones or friends, often creating a sense of disconnection or emotional distance.
Overcoming a porn addiction is a liberating experience! However, once it has taken root it can be a discouraging process to escape. There is no quick or magical fix. It will take you time and professional intervention. Most people who successfully overcome an addiction to pornography seek professional counseling as a part of their recovery program. Don’t feel bad about yourself if you’ve made many attempts to stop, but constantly return to using. This is very common. You are normal. There is nothing innately wrong with you, but you are probably addicted. Find someone with special training in pornography addiction to help you. Call us for a free 15-minute consultation with one of our therapists trained in pornography addiction in Mesa AZ (480) 668-8301.